Tuesday 17 May 2011

Street Lights, Bond Street May 10th 2011

 "Street Lights is and artistic collaboration between London’s fine jewellers, The Royal College of Arts and Central Saint Martins", presented by Vogues Carol Woolton (Jewellery Editor) & Laura Bailey


I was lucky enough to get a heads up that this was happening so jumped at the chance to take a look, so here is a snapshot of the event and my highlights:

Tiffany & Co.
Tiffany & Co. were the first to stop me in my tracks with this revolving display resembling a Christmas decoration, but, apart from being a bit high for my eyes, the magnifying sections around the outer rim were very clever indeed.   Jewellery itself looked exactly like it should be in the window of Tiffany & Co., Bond Street, well done Katharina Vones.

Please follow me down the road of my evening at Vogue…







Andrew Logan
Andrew Logan, Sculptor, scattered the road with 3 horses.  One white, one red and one black WINGED horses (on a red, carpeted platform with cordoned off rope, of course).  On first sight, I had to squint a little, I’m not going to lie, but the three of them bought a sense of occasion that could easily have been any closed street in London. 




Chaumet
Chaumet had a phenomenal display!  Paper flies, layered again and again- with insects crawling out and around it (the watches ruined it for me a little bit, as two monstrosities also protruded out with the delicate jewellery).  Saying that, I could have stared at this window all evening, and every tiny cut out fly…

Chaumet, look at the flies!



A live band (again, on a red carpeted platform with cordoned off rope) played a classical tunes for a classy evening. Ok, the horse sculptures bought occasion, the live music bought atmosphere.  And along with the hum of ‘ohhs’, ‘ahhs’ and occasional ‘dahrling!’ it was panning out to be a respectable Tuesday.
Live music








Harry Winston,
revolving diamond structured chain,
with bubble bath






Harry Winston has a sculpted diamond chain rotating slowly on a jet black, well lit background. The chain passes through a bath of soapy water, which gives the gaps in the structure its diamond-like shimmer.  This was mesmerising and fantastically thought out.  It took me a while to manoeuvre through the crowd to get a peek.

Van Cleef & Arpels





Van Cleef & Arpels.  I spent 6 full hours (& $15) only two weeks ago at the Van Cleef and Arpels Exhibition at the Cooper-Hewitt museum.  It was interesting to see the ‘mystery setting’ (which is patented by the company) in smaller more wearable pieces.  Everything in the whole window screamed of modern with the angular stones, it was also soft and classic with nature being the predominant inspiration.  I was amazed I was allowed so close to the shop window as I was told that I was not allowed to enter the store in New York.  Still, the work speaks for itself, even if the American store staff wouldn’t speak to me.  I’m not angry!  Ok, I’m still a bit angry…
Bvlgari  -
I was going to be in the picture, wherever I stood.
But check out the stones

Bvlgari used mirrors to show all
the colours of the rainbow from every angle in a multi coloured, multi semi-precious stone necklace.  It sat on an angle on a perspex disc and as this swung around in the breeze as the shop door opened and closed, the mirrors caught the light and pushed them through every individual facet of each stone. 
On the other side of the doorway, a shopping trolley by Leigh Cameron of Central St Martins, quoted "Should something so rare and beautiful be considered a consumable product? Rarity defines consumerism!"  Just a perfect quote I had to share.

Bvlgari - Leigh Cameron
Asprey - Gorilla safe, I just had to share with you





Chopard -
Cannes film festival inspired window





















Chopard "Chopard’s sponsoring of Cannes Film Festival is the theme of this instillation.  The spinning zoetrope’s you are witnessing are the Victorian’s answer to the modern man’s cinema.  The diamonds inside floating represent 'Happy Diamonds'".  This was good, another one i had to politely await to i could get a good view.



Georg Jenson. I couldn’t help but stop at look at this window.  Make your own mind up but I did find the jewellery in there, when I got really close…
Georg Jenson - what do you think?

Georg Jenson

Boucheron- my favourite of the day, simple
Boucheron
Boucheron
Judge me as you will, but here was my favourite piece of the day, a gold ring resembling a hedgehog.  It was a huge dome with spikes and two small ruby eyes on the smooth, triangle head poking out the top.  Jewellery should cause a reaction when you first see it, and I waited a while and watched as people discovered and smiled to themselves and laughed with friends about this piece. Spot on.  I have to mention the bright fuchsia and gold windows. I learnt something from these: “Maharajah of Patiala … visited Louis Boucheron in Paris, purchasing his exquisite jewellery to adorn their princely attire.” –Jasleen Kaur.  The Jewellery in the window is set upon the white, sculpted head and bust of Boucheron with a Turban on, swapping their cultures, religions and languages. 
Smart, and everyone loves a story!
Solange Azagury-Partridge - always a good window,
just had to share

Garrard
Garrard
Garrard This was amazing!  It ran from 9-15th May, you could stand in front of the ‘mirror’ and you become a princess as a tiara appears on your head! I couldn’t find a video but found this article so you can see http://www.professionaljeweller.com/article-9398-holition-creates-3d-tiara-for-vogue-street-lights/

Garrard - mirror mirror on the wall...


This concludes my blog on the bright Street Lights of Bond.

‘This will literally be a dazzling showcase of fantastic young talent and offer a new perspective on a world famous shopping street’ – Mayor of London, Boris Johnson

Thanks Boris, it really was…

I hope you enjoyed it and thanks for reading.  There will be more in the run up to London Jewellery Week
  
Jx





 

No comments:

Post a Comment