Saturday 21 May 2011

Chatting in Craft Central

What: Made in Clerkenwell

 Where: Craft Central

When: 20th May 2011

I’ve been attending the open studios here for about 5 years, ever since I found out it existed.  There is something about a busy workshop I find exciting!  Here, there is such a variety of people, trades, products…  Everything you could ever imagine!  Every time I visit, I’m like a kid in a sweet shop!  All eyes and hands!  And talking to designers and makers is what 80% of the fun is. This of course fluctuates depending on the pre or post pay-day situation. 

He's definately checking in on Facebook...


 
Last night I met up with two wonderful people. Poly Philippou and Amy Keeper are both jewellers at craft central.

They are part of a new collective; 14 carat will be exhibiting during this year’s London Jewellery Week.

http://14carat.blogspot.com/
 
Poly Philippou told me all about her and her jewellery

Poly Philippou
Poly Philippou
My favourite piece of hers is this necklace with 32 charms.  I know it’s a bit 
much, but every time I looked at it, I saw a different pod, or texture, or saw 
a flash of gold, then I found a pearl… brilliant!  Each ‘pod’ Poly collected from 
her walks, in Cyprus and in London and really lets nature do the talking.  Casting 
it in silver and letting the metal tell the story stories to everyone, forever.
Poly Philippou, image copyright Simon B Armitt 2010
The pieces I have to share with you are these cufflinks.  These very cleaver 
cufflinks have come from Poly’s annoyance with the bog standard cufflink 
toggle or swivel back.  These are using the function of linking cuffs dictate the 
shape that they are.  The outcome are these very masculine, completely practical 
and wearable pieces that double up as a pretty cool thing to have on your bed 
side table, not to be mistaken for a message from outer space.
 
Amy Keeper answers my questions about her jewellery

Amy Keeper
Amy Keeper
My favourite piece is this brooch.  Its so small and detailed and 
reminds me of old cameos of the 1920’s. Amy went on to tell 
me why- its because that’s the decade the image was taken from!   
I love the romance that the picture holds, and by etching it onto 
metal makes me a bit soppy, to think that now Amy has taken 
the time and make this piece in metal that the image will continue 
to live on for another hundred years, even if the photo itself 
doesn’t. The photo etching teamed with the blackened metal set 
the age of the picture too, reminiscent of old black and white 
movie stills.  And not having a completely silver, high shine 
polish, the grey metal gives it age, history and almost an extra 
delicateness as you want to be careful with it.  
I dare for this not to make you happy inside.
Amy Keeper
The piece I have to share this necklace, gold with a rock crystal spinning 
centre.  The matching ring is on the flyer for the show (second picture in) and I 
really enjoy the playfulness and interactivity it provokes.  And it makes for a 
pretty cool picture too with the rock crystal magnifier over the old map book. 
 
I know I’m bias as a jeweller that anything in metal is fantastic because it can last forever, but its true!  These two completely different jewellers use precious metal to tell their stories in totally different ways.


 
Learn more about 14 carat at http://14carat.blogspot.com/ and don’t forget to put the dates in your diary, but if you’re in London tomorrow, Made in Clerkenwell is still on! http://www.craftcentral.org.uk/madeinclerkenwell pop in!

Jx

No comments:

Post a Comment